The key functions of this Directorate is to manage the airspace over the territory of Ethiopia, which includes:
- To grant over flight and landing authorization for civilian flights,
- Facilitate safe economical and unorderly follow of air traffic with in Addis Flight Information Region
- Administer air traffic services facilities;
- Over see air traffic control services in Ethiopia;
- Lead investigation of Air Traffic Services occurrences and take such actions as to avoid future recurrences and establish a safety management system for ATS in Ethiopia.